A night off means its time to hit the town and see what Savannah nightlife and its surrounding communities have to offer. You couldn’t have picked a better place to be, as there’s a watering hole for every personality. Whether you’re looking for a dive bar, a nice view, or a speakeasy with a story, you’ll find it here.
Cocktail Bars and Speakeasies
The newest trend in Savannah nightlife is cocktail bars and speakeasies. Some require a password, while others are out in the open. Here are some of the best options in the area:
- AlleyCat Lounge – Tucked downstairs in a Broughton Street alley, AlleyCat Lounge is the essence of cool. Menus are printed on seasonal newspapers, which are organized into the base liquor.
- The Artillery – Drop by this restored Moorish beauty for its moody interiors and namesake military history. Put on your best attire and order a contemporary cocktail like the Jasper to feel like you’re in a scene from Mad Men.
- Jen’s and Friends – If funky martinis are your drink of choice, stop by this neighborhood spot. Some border on the ridiculous, like the Birthday Cake Martini, which combines dessert with a stiff drink.
- Mata Hari’s – You must know someone to go here, but once you do, you’re transported to the Roaring Twenties. Enjoy live music and drinks like absinthe. Ask around town for a key to get inside.
Get to know Savannah from above by visiting one of the rooftop bars. Bring your friends for a swanky drink with a view at one of these venues:
- Rocks on the Roof – Located at the Bohemian Hotel, this rooftop lounges features a patio overlooking River Street, live music, and a menu of cocktails and tapas.
- Top Deck – Set atop a historic building turned boutique hotel, the nautical vibes make Top Deck a favorite. Cozy up on one of the couches with pulled pork sliders and a G.B.G., a gin and Jameson cocktail.
- Perch – Unlike the others, this bar overlooks scenic Forsyth Square. The use of natural building materials makes you feel like you’re among the trees, sipping the local sazerac.
Dive Bars and Beer Bars
But if your tastes swing more towards brews, Savannah and its surrounding communities have plenty to offer as well. Indulge in one of many local brews from the Coastal Empire, Service, and Southbound breweries:
- The Pour House – The name says it all for this Hinesville watering hole, which boasts over seventy beers to choose from. Enjoy happy hour and drink specials throughout the week.
- Fia Rua Irish Pub – For a taste of Ireland, look no further than Richmond Hill. Grab a pint of one of sixty beers, including ten drafts from Guinness, Smithwick’s, and Harp.
- Abe’s on Lincoln – What’s not to love about Savannah’s Abraham Lincoln-themed bar? Weekly open mic nights and reasonably priced drinks are also part of the appeal.
Nightclubs and Entertainment
If you’re ready to forget your week and dance the night away or just enjoy some live entertainment, you’ll find options in Savannah at one of these locations:
- Club One – This venue was made famous by Lady Chablis, an LGBT performer who was featured in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It’s one of the few LGBT-friendly clubs in town.
- Savannah Smiles Dueling Pianos – For a unique evening of entertainment, check out the dueling pianos, which is a multi-level venue with a sixty-foot bar and hundreds of drink choices.
- Bay Street Blues – The no-frills establishment offers live music and kitschy decor. Sip your strong drink from a plastic cup before your turn in karaoke.
Whatever type of drink strikes your fancy, you’re sure to enjoy the Savannah nightlife. Remember that go cups are allowed in Savannah, but take a cab at the end of the night to be safe!